Friday, October 8, 2010

Something Lovely

Yesterday I had the opportunity - the first in weeks, if not months - to leave Pippin at home with a babysitter in the afternoon and go out! By myself!! For a couple of hours!!!*

I walked up to Smith St and had a potter around in the awesome Lost and Found Market... I managed not to buy anything... (this time) and then took myself to Las Vegan Bakery for chai (best I've ever had while out and about) and some comfort e-book reading: The Secret Adversary by Agatha Christie.

(original cover image from wikipedia, link above)

I love Agatha Christie books. LOVE them. I had read most of them by the time I was 12 years old... starting age 8 with The Seven Dials Mystery which was on my mum's bedside table when I used to curl up in my parents' electric-blanketed bed instead of my own on winter nights (until I got shooed out when they wanted to come to bed!) and onwards and upwards from there.

They are totally my go-to comfort reading. I think my favourites tend to be Miss Marple ones, but Tommy and Tuppence are so spunky and awesome (especially Tuppence) that their tales come a close second. There is no better reading with a cup of tea (except perhaps a Tea Shop Mystery).

*no, that is not too many exclamation marks for this momentous event.

3 comments:

  1. Have read lots and lots of Christies too - Poirot is my favorite, then Tommy and Tuppence. I think it's a pity that Poirot on screen looks nothing like Poirot in the books. He's short in the books after all, not tall.

    Anyway wintertime which is coming up soon here, means cozy reading with tea. That's the plan anyway.

    J.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jackie, I don't know if you've ever seen the most recent BBC Poirot starring David Suchet... Definitely the closest screen Poirot! Been years since I saw Peter Ustinov as Poirot, but seriously... WTF... Nothing like the books!

    I think in The Body in the Library Miss Marple is described as being tall and thin... But I have trouble imagining her like that when at the same time she is regularly described in the books as 'fluffy'... Being tall and fluffy just doesn't go together in my head... :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It sounds like you truly relished your break, and deservedly so!
    Much as we love our babies, those precious hours away are truly blissful (and needed).

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for leaving a comment - truly appreciated! I will respond as often as I can.