Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Irish Soda Bread

I had some buttermilk sitting in the fridge last week, leftover from something else I had cooked, so I decided to use it up in some Irish soda bread. The recipe was this one, from The Bread Experience. I only made half the quantity, because I didn't have quite enough buttermilk for the full version. 


The recipe was super simple and quick to make - only took about ten minutes, plus the resting time, and then 40 minutes in the oven. I think I should probably have given it another 5-10 minutes to brown it a little more, plus it was still a touch doughy in the very middle - only a tiny bit though. 


Basically it looked like a giant scone, but easier to make (no rubbing in butter)! Fantastic toasted for breakfast. I'll be making this one again, and might experiment with different flours and some flavourings as well... Maybe a spicy/fruity version, what do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for leaving a comment - truly appreciated! I will respond as often as I can.